Babel Immigration Law Professional Corporation
Babel Immigration Law Professional Corporation is engaged exclusively in the practice of immigration law. We provide smart, clear and strategic immigration advice for clients who have chosen to live, work, study and do business in Canada. We also provide support to Canadian citizens who wish to visit or work in the United States.
Clarity in Immigration – for individuals, for businesses, and for you.
Melissa M. Babel, Founder and Principal Lawyer, Babel Immigration Law Professional Corporation
Melissa is recognized as a Certified Specialist in the area of Citizenship and Immigration Law by the Law Society of Ontario. Over the span of her career, Melissa has acquired a unique combination of experience that spans all areas of Canadian Immigration law. As a trusted advisor to Canadian employers and multinational companies, Melissa has provided strategic immigration planning advice for all temporary and permanent residence issues, as well as complex corporate compliance matters. Melissa’s focused, integrated and practical advice to companies in industries as diverse as technology, aerospace, oil and gas, financial services and fintech, mining and energy, project management, engineering, manufacturing and hospitality.
Melissa has represented individuals and their families in all temporary (visit, work, study), permanent residence (economic, family, refugee and humanitarian), and citizenship applications. She has also had the opportunity to represent clients in litigation before all levels of the Immigration and Refugee Board, and the Federal Court.
This range of experience has allowed Melissa to see immigration matters from every angle. This experience will be there to serve you.
Melissa is an active volunteer in the legal community. She has served as an Executive Member of the Ontario Bar Association Citizenship and Immigration Law Section for several years. For the 2019-2020 session she will serve the organization as the Vice-Chair of the section, which is the voice of the Citizenship and Immigration bar in Ontario.
Melissa is committed to local community arts activities. As a member of the Board of the Oakville Choir for Children and Youth for the past three years, Melissa is an active supporter of community-based music programming for children.
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Licensed to Practice in Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador
- Certified Specialist (Citizenship and Immigration Law), Law Society of Ontario
- Attorney at Law, Massachusetts
- Vice-Chair (Executive Member), Ontario Bar Association, Citizenship and Immigration Law Section
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers’ Association (AILA) Canada Chapter
Areas of practice
Babel Immigration Law Professional Corporation helps their clients succeed in the following areas:
Immigration Strategies for Canadian Employers
Canadian employers, or foreign entities looking to set up business in Canada, rely on foreign workers for key professional positions. Finding the right talent is challenging, supporting that person’s entry to Canada should not be a roadblock to business growth.
At Babel Immigration Law, we work with employers to set strong immigration policies that support the short- and long-term goals of the organization and the needs of the workforce. This requires a keen eye for immigration compliance matters to keep employers audit-ready and ahead of the curve.
We work with employers to set up and maintain the Employer Portal with Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada, and represent employers with respect to all types of temporary work permits, including:
- NAFTA and other Free Trade Agreement work permits for professionals, Intra-company transferees, and After Sales Service;
- Labour Market Impact Assessment based work permits;
- Global Talent Strategy work permits under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and International Mobility Programs;
- Start-Up Intra-Company transfers;
- Significant Benefit work permits (exceptional economic, social or cultural contribution to Canada);
- Francophone Mobility work permits;
- Emergency Repairs;
- Provincial Nominee Program based work permits;
- International Experience Class and other work permit permits;
- Short term entry under the Global Skills Strategy; and
- Business traveler entry and compliance.
Immigration Support for Individuals
Professionals, business owners, skilled tradespeople and their family members look to Canada for opportunities. The pathway to permanent residency and citizenship can take many different forms. At Babel Immigration Law, we are experienced in all categories of permanent residence, and the temporary work options that are sometimes required to support a successful transition to permanent status in this country. Additionally, we can help to support you where the unexpected occurs, and there is some form of inadmissibility (medical, criminal or other). Individual Immigration strategies include:
- Economic Immigration through Express Entry (Federal Skilled Workers and Canadian Experience Class)
- Provincial Nominee Programs, with and without employer support;
- Owner/Operator Labour Market Impact Assessments;
- Start-Up Intra-Company Transfers;
- Federal Skilled Trades applications;
- Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed applicants;
- Quebec Investor applications;
- Quebec Skilled Worker Applications;
- Start-Up Visa Program;
- Family Class applications (spouse/common-law partner, dependent children and parents) including humanitarian applications;
- Super Visa
- Caregiver Programs;
- PR Card applications, including complex matters;
- Retention of PR including advocacy and litigation;
- Citizenship applications, including recognition of citizenship, adoptions and other complex matters;
US ENTRY FOR CANADIAN CITIZENS
- L visas